18 days until the semester is over! 3 weeks and 3 days until the semester is over! 432 hours until the semester is over! 25,920 minutes until the semester is over! 1,555,200 seconds until the semester is over! Any way you choose to calculate, time is ticking away. To avoid counting down by the second, here are some interesting things going on around campus to keep your attention.
Calling all writers!
- The Brooklyn College Night Call newspaper is seeking for submissions of editorials and movie/book reviews. Email email@example.com for more information.
- The Artifice, an online magazine that covers a wide spectrum of art forms, including Film, Anime, Comics, Literature, Games, and Arts, is expanding and seeking for writers to join their team. If you are interested, email Alyson Burston at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out their website the-artifice.com.
Q2 Sponsorship opportunities
Our Q2 sponsorship opportunities, each offering four fully-sponsored places for Summer 2018, will be coming to an end soon.
- Stock Market Challenge, for Warren Buffet wannabes– Banking & financial services focus – Closes April 30th.
- Campus life; tell your college’s story– Marketing, advertising & PR focus – Closes April 23rd -30th.
- Business plan; for aspiring change-makers– Business & entrepreneurship focus – Final entries by April 30th.
- Branding; for aspiring creatives– Art & design focus – Final entries by April 30th.
You may learn more about – and participate in – the opportunities via the links above.
What can I do with my major?
On Tuesday April 24th 12:30-2pm the Magner Career Center and School of Humanities and Social Sciences will be hosting the Careers and Internships for Liberal Arts Majors Panel.
The panel will expose you to a variety of career options and help you answer the questions “what will you do with that major”? You will meet with representatives who have successful careers with degrees including Sociology, English, Political Science, History and more. Confirmed panelists include:
- Northeast Regional Director of the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs with the U.S. Department of Labor (BC Alumnus)
- DCAS commissioner
- PC magazine writer (BC Alumnus)
- Senior Manager, Operations Ford Foundation (BC Alumna)
- NYS Supreme Court Judge (BC Alumnus)
- Communications Professional from KPMG (BC Alumnus)
- Senior Director, Business Affairs – Spafax (BC Alumna)
In addition, there will be a recruiting session immediately following the panel discussion event. So, please bring a copy of your resume!
Brooklyn College is co-hosting the International Public Television Conference (INPUT) this year at Williamsburg Cinema, the week of April 30-May 4th.
INPUT was founded on the principle that every culture is valuable and deserves respect and recognition. It stimulates an increased awareness of cultural, societal, and national sensibilities as it relates to public television programming from around the world.
Brooklyn College students have an opportunity to attend INPUT for free in exchange for a few hours of volunteer work at the conference itself. For BC students, here’s how it works:
If you are able to volunteer for at least one-time slot during the conference week, Prof. Katherine Fry can register you for the conference at no charge (usually $60.00 fee for students), which means you can participate in all the rest of the conference for free.
Here is the link to all the screenings that week:
Email Prof Fry at email@example.com the day/time(s) that work for you. Once you do that, she will slot you in, then get you registered for the conference.
Events on campus
Anjali Kamat, our Belle Zeller professor, will be presenting her work that was the subject of a long-form expose put out by the New Republic and ProPublica last month on Tuesday May 1st at 12:30pm.
See attached flyer “Trump’s India Connection” for more details.
Early Modern Lecture Series in History
Wednesday, April 25, 5:05 p.m to 6:20 p.m.: Alan Stewart (Columbia University): “The Rise of the Diary in Early Modern England and New England”
LOCATION: Occidental Lounge, 5th floor, Student Center
As the saying goes: time flies when you’re having fun. So, have fun!